Friday, April 9, 2010

Florida

Bryan and I have an aversion to chain restaurants. We will go out of our way to find eateries that are unique. Meaning,that they serve real food not frozen. While driving through Alabama, on our way to Florida we passed several McDonald's, Subways and Whataburgers and stopped at Nellie's. Bryan inquired at a local shop about where to get good food and the answer was Miss Nellie's a mile down the road. Nellie's was incredible. Run by southern women; we enjoyed BBQ, fried chicken, Lima beans and homemade cornbread. I put my diet aside to enjoy the rare treats.

Last evening after arriving in Sandestin we attempted the same plan. We drove up and down the strip for miles searching for anything that seemed unique. No luck, until we turned off the main drag and ended up at a steak and seafood restaurant that appeared to be local. The menu was primarily seafood and I became suspicious when the waitress explained that the entire right side of the menu was half off? Who does that. I asked why and she said "that's just what we do." Then she said there drink specials were raspberry daiquiris? Who drinks those? Flipping to the wine list I found 1 wine listed only. Hhmmm? I am very suspicious. Regardless I order one of the seafood specials that was "normally" very pricey, but what the heck it is half off.

Granted the food was not inedible, but my platter consisted of 2 shrimp, 2 scallops and a crab cake soaked in butter. The prices weren't reduced, they were set for what you got. It was a gimmick. Leaving the restaurant we decided for the remainder of of short trip to forget it and give in to the chains. Appleebees here we come!

Did I mention we are in Florida? About 2 weeks ago I realized Bryan had the later half of the kids spring break off. We had spring fever and desperately tried to find a place for a couple days on the beach. Bryan and I called about a several condos we found on line with no luck. They were already booked or would not allow anyone staying under 7 days. We were about to give up when low and behold a women called us back and offered her "private" condo. She explained this was her personal condo, it was directly on the beach. A spacious 1 bedroom with a king size bed and loft area with a full bed. There was also a pull out couch if needed. Plenty of room for a small family of 4. The pictures on-line were deceivingly lovely. The price was better than right so we booked.

Bryan went in early on Wednesday to round on patients; road trip started around 3:30pm. Grace awoke yestereday morning complaining of a severe headache and nausea. Stopping at Walgreens, Bryan ran in to get Grace some Meclizine. He was too late, Grace hurled outside the van door and I held her hair. Good Times!!!

Bryan appears frazzled and explains that the 80 year old lady in front of him was trying to use her CVS coupon at Walgreens. She kept saying, "I know it says CVS, but can't I use it her?" "Are you saying I have to go to CVS?" Bryan finally tapped her and said "You need to go to CVS, its down the road". After slowly leaving, Bryan attempts to talk to the pharmacy tech about some medicine. The Russian/Slovaik tech says is a thick Russian accent, "I don't know what you mean, what is Dramamine?" Bryan is about ready to loose it as the 80 year old CVS coupon lady returns looking for her keys. He finally got Grace some drugs but after the expelling of emesis.

Arriving at Sandestin I was pleased. Friends had confimed to me that is was a nice place to stay. We found our condo and I quickly changed my mind. The spacious 1 bedroom consisted of a walk-in closet with a full size bed smashed inside. No room for anything else, just a bed. Perhaps this was the loft? There is a lovely Laverene and Shirley style pull out of the wall King sized bed. Seriously? Its in the the living room. The bathroom was the clincher. 3 inches of mold around the edges and shower curtain liner. Tears entered my eyes as I walked around. I was tired and grumpy and the mold put me over the edge. I quickly called my friend in Cincy for a pep talk. She did just that. Its 3 days, the weather is lovely, and I will try to handle the mold. I don't like being deceived and the condo lady was deceiving.

After our butter dinner Bryan appeased me by making a family run to Target. I had forgotten Clays underware and toothbrush, my blow dryer and exercise videos. $200.00later we had boxers, toothbrushes, blow dryers, popcorn, almonds and Billy Blanks Tae Bo; the simple pleasures in life! As I sit with my Starbucks, computer, and a lovely sunny morning I am chastising myself for the tears; I am a lucky lady. Although I still haven't stepped foot into the molded tub!!!

No comments: